WV Archive

White Voice Archive 2 15 17 19 20 21 22 23 27 29 30 31 32

Friday 10 April 2015

The Pall Bearers Of Britain

The Pall Bearers Of Britain
1
Ah! There you are, and there you are
I'm so glad that you came
Pray! You must forgive me
For I do know your name
For I am old and senile
and my hearing very weak
Tell me, you who bury Mother
Let me hear you speak 
2
"I am tall and I am old"
The first Pall Bearer said
"I've known your Mother
since her youth
I'm not puzzled that she's dead
For when she was but small a child
I warned her of her fate
But I'm still here and she is gone
I'm present, she is late "
3
Then tell me, tall Pall Bearer
Please tell me of your name
"My name is Liberal " he answered
You know me just the same
And you, his grave companion
Who carries Morther's bier
Relate me then your story
I, her son must surely hear3
4
"I've known your Mother ever
before She was conceived
If I related my real age
You never would believe.
We flirted; we were lovers?
but you are not my child
We quarreled then we parted
I, new lovers - She so wild
5
But now I grow and prosper,
but for Old Times sake
For your Mother's funeral
I, a Lovers bearer make 
6
Then tell me Fat Pall Bearer
tell me of your name
"Capital " he answered
You know me just the same "
7
"I'm Number Three - She called me worse
But feared me just the same
I taught Her Petty Politics
I said 'It's just a game '
8
But Mother now dead Mother
She took it to her heart
and called it 'Pure Democracy '
and now they both depart "
9
But stay a while Fat Capital
I've questions yet awhile
You carry Britain's Britain's
So why the sickly smile?
10
"Ok, my boy,ok" he said
"I'll not give you the Lie
Now take me as Your partner
You and partnership will die "

-  Eddy Morrison April 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything to say about anything.....