WV Archive

White Voice Archive 2 15 17 19 20 21 22 23 27 29 30 31 32

Monday 16 March 2015

Let ancient freedoms fly........


Let ancient freedoms fly
I'm told by men that long ago
a Charter Great was written
To give us air and light and speech
'Fore iron chains were smitten

I'm told that men in forest green
fought wild and wide and free
for rights and life and liberty
for their land was blessed be

I'm told that man in khaki brown
In blood and mud and gore
Fought and died for Britain's sake
So our words could live, could soar

I'm told that men in gold and blue
O'er Britain's skies did fly
to guard our rights and way of life
that all speech shall be free

I'm told that dark jowled jailer men
took my life, my love, my land
These enemies of love now rule
with chains and gold in hand

I'm told that Door is tighter locked
and tighter locked shall be
for free speech lays within my cell
no thoughts, no words for me

I see my land so shackled down
I see our truth and rights
Can only fly when Freedom's free
and from this cell' I'll fight

Till dark jowled men are overthrown
and chains and prisons gone
when my folk speak and think their thoughts
and a our Nation shall be won

- Eddy Morrison (2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything to say about anything.....